Sunday, January 13, 2013

Painting a few watercolors.

I will be making a few small watercolor paintings this weekend. I've had a block of 4x6 in. watercolor paper sitting here for a long time so I might as well put it to use.
I haven't painted in watercolors in at least 20years. It's not my favorite medium. It's not at all like painting with oils or acrylics. It requires a whole different way of thinking about painting. I usually draw very little or not at all on a canvas before I start painting. With watercolors, you really want to know where your colors are going to go before you paint them.
When painting in watercolor, I like to do landscape, architecture and gardens. Those should be drawn in first. Sometimes I draw on the painting after the paint dries. I'm not planning that for these.
For these paintings, I'll be doing mostly landscapes, and I'll be working from memory. This is all really just practice for me; reintroducing myself to the medium. I'm going to try to do about six of these small paintings. I'll post photos of them when they're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment