Sunday, January 13, 2013

4 Small watercolor paintings

I was trying for six paintings but I only got four done. I think these each took between one and two hours to paint. As I said earlier, watercolor isn't my forte'. I've listed these in the order I painted them. I did the first two after dinner on Saturday and the other two Sunday evening. These are painted on 4x6 in. rough textured watercolor paper. These samples are about half the size of the originals. It's not easy to get a nice smooth painting on a rough piece of paper this small. It is a little fun to get in there, push some paint around and try to make something anyway.
I painted these from memory and made no pencil sketch on the paper ahead of painting. These were simple enough compositions that I didn't need a guide. I'll have to paint a lot more of these to get the hang of it again. Better planning would yield better paintings. I'll try doing some from photographs next time.
So, here's a quick list of what I painted:
The first one, "Mustard Fields" is a rather plain but typical Sonoma county view.
The second painting, "Garden" is an impressionist inspired experiment.
The third one is a quick rendition of a beach. Only three colors used here.
The last one, a view of "Yosemite Valley", is not quite correct, but I was working from memory, not a photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment