Monday, September 26, 2022

Scroll Saw Bowl Test

 

Something a little different this time. A scroll saw bowl. It measures 5 inches high and approx. 7 inches diameter. This is my first attempt at this kind of creation. I'm also breaking in a new scroll saw - a vast improvement over my old scroll saw from the early 1980's. So if you look closely you can see the rough cuts and glue squeeze-out and stuff. This is cut from a flat board and then the concentric cut-outs are glued in place, each one off-set from the one below it, creating a visually interesting construction. So, I guess technically this is more like a basket than a bowl. It is surprisingly stable and doesn't tip over easily. I'm ready to try this with some better, nicer looking wood now that I know what I'm doing. Meanwhile here are some photos of my first attempt. I like how the light works on this thing. The shadows from an overhead light makes a dramatic showing.








No comments:

Post a Comment