Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A Different Kind of Bowl

 

This bowl is 11.5 inches long, 5.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches high. Here, I'm trying a different kind of bowl construction. All the wood on this is from scraps and salvaged wood. 

 


On this one, I started with a stack of 10 10-segment rings, one of them being wider than the others. The feet would be cut out of the wider segmented ring. After I turned and sanded the inside and outside of this "bowl", I took it off the lathe (above). The woods are (top to bottom): Poplar from a piece of wood from piano, with the 1/8 inch Mahogany veneer still attached, then 2 layers of Redwood, next,Walnut then Maple from an old cutting board, then White Oak edge trim from a table I restored, then the wide ring which is more of the Maple cutting board wood, and below that a few more layers of the White Oak.

I carefully cut the stack in half. Then I made a template for the legs so I could make exact copies to trace onto the wood. I cut away everything on the wide ring that wasn't the feet. That was followed by a lot of sanding. 


Then, with some tricky clamping, I glued the two halves together and made the top rim flat and level. I leveled the feet. More sanding, then orange oil/wax followed with the final coatings of  Danish Oil. There are a few minor imperfections but it's not bad for my first attempt at this kind of thing.

click on any image to see a larger version

 








No comments:

Post a Comment