Friday, May 29, 2020

Mulberry Burl Wood Bowl

Click on an image to see a larger version of it.
This was an attempt to make something out of a large hunk of Mulberry burl given to me by my brother-in-law Eric Wight. This was turned from green (wet) wood. This wood was full of voids, rotten sections, cracks and lots of knots, with grain going in every direction. Extremely difficult to turn. I purposely left this bowl a little thicker than I'd like it so that when it dries out and warps, I can put it back on the lathe and finish it. First I want to dry it out, then I'm goin to fill the voids with black Milliput epoxy putty and then remount it on the lathe and finish it . . . if it doesn't fly apart while I'm working on it. Anyway, I thought I'd give you a look at it at this stage. Maybe I can finish it next week. This bowl measures 2 inches high and 6 inches in diameter. It hasn't been sanded or finish applied yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment