Saturday, May 9, 2020

A Mulberry Bowl


Click on image to see a larger version
My brother-in-law, Eric, gave me a big chunk of Mulberry tree, almost like a big burl. This was green (wet) wood. I thought I'd put a chunk on the lathe and see how it turned. The lighter sap wood on this piece has a pearl or satin sheen to it. The darker heart wood has interesting variations in the grain. What's not sap wood nor heart wood is a yellow color. I'm wondering if these colors will change as the bowl dries out and sits for a couple of years. It's not a bad wood to turn. This piece, being green, warped a bit. However, took it off the lathe periodically and gave it a minute in the microwave and let it cool. I'd do that a couple more times then put it back on the lathe. This was wet sanded with mineral oil, then burnished with its own shavings. The bowl measures six inches in diameter and 2 inches high.




No comments:

Post a Comment