Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Mobile' #59

I made this mobile' rather quickly one Saturday afternoon. I had no plan, only a vague idea, when I started on this. I just made it up as I went. I knew only that it would be not too large and would have three arms with auto plastic "lights". It is welded all steel construction, except for the red inserts at the end of the "arms". This piece is 14 inches high. The legs are steel nails, the cylindrical shape is a solenoid case from a starter motor. Above that, more nails and a screwdriver blade ground to a rounded point. Spinning on that point is a domed disk made from the bottom of a spray paint can. Welded to that are coat hanger wires with big steel washers at the ends. Filling the washers is bits of auto tail light plastic.
I've been making these steel mobile's which incorporate colored plastic or glass in them. I've always liked the idea the these mobile's are "powered" by wind and gravity; natures free energy. And now I'm able to give them "lights", using free sun light to power them. I would point out also that almost all of these mobile's were made from materials I got for free from the trash or literally lying on the side of the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment