Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Box of the week: Two Oak Boxes


Here are a couple more boxes made from bits of scrap wood in my shop. From time to time I pick out some wood from the scrap bin to make something useful out of it. A lot of the wood I use if from somebody else's scrap bin. I hate to see good wood, even a little bit of it go to waste.
A lot of times my scrap bin projects are tests of ideas I have, or testing a new jig I made. In this case I was trying out a new box joint jig I made. This new jig uses a threaded rod and a crank to move the wood and to make the spacing for the box joint (some call it a finger joint).
So, a little bit of nice hardwood and my new jig and no metal hardware results in a couple of nice little boxes. Both are made completely of (White?) Oak. The box above is about 4x6x1.75 inches, with a beveled lid, and stained walnut color. The box below is roughly 5x5x2 inches, with rounded corners and stained "cherry bark". Both are then finished off with woodworkers wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment