Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A box made with my box joint jig


Working with scrap lumber, I've been trying out this box joint jig I made. I've tried it with different kinds of wood of various thickness, as well as trying three different router bit sizes. There's a custom door manufacturer about a mile down the road from my house. They get all their lumber as salvage and reclaimed timber and they further mill it themselves. Just about every day they put their trimmings and cut-offs in a bin in their parking lot for gleaners like myself to pick through. I get some really nice wood there, and that's what I used for these boxes. No nails were used to build these boxes. (click on a photo to see a larger version of it.)
This first box measures about 4 1/2 by 5 inches and has 1/4 in. finger joints. The light colored wood is 1/4 in. white oak, the dark wood is redwood. The hinge at the rear of the box is incorporated into the redwood trim. Here we see the front view; the horizontal redwood bar is the latch handle to lift the lid. The second photo shows the open view. Just a light coat of clear varnish to finish it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment