Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A jewelry box for bracelets.

This is another of the box joint jig tests. This one with 1/2 in. finger joints using recycled lumber. Ellen didn't want a fancy jewelry box, so we decided to go with a look of something that's "been around", looks old, and with a simple design.
The box measures roughly 12 x 14 x 4 1/2 in., old plywood top and bottom, the sides are pine, brass hinges and latch. (in the first photo, the lid is slightly open. it's not a bad fit.)
To hold the bracelets, I used four 13 in. long, 2 inch thin-wall PVC pipe which slide into staggered U-shaped cut-outs glued to the inside of the end boards. You can take the bracelet holders out to put the bracelets on them but you don't have to, at least for the top row. I was going to cover the holders with velvet or felt but Ellen likes it just the way it is.
I finished the wood with a mixture of stains to get the look I wanted. I applied different colored stains, rubbed on, to get a semi "sunburst" coloring. I topped it off with a clear finish. I'll take a little bit of the shine off with some steel wool and re-buff to a satin finish. Ellen's happy with it.That's what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment