Monday, September 21, 2015

3 more small wooden boxes

Still trying different kinds of wood, different size boxes with different size finger joints. Starting from the left, the first box is about 10.5" long, 3" wide and about 2.5" high. The bottom is white oak, sides are spruce, and the sliding top is redwood. No finger joints on this one. The corner joints are 45 degree glued joints. Natural finish with a couple of coats of wood worker's wax. I'll use this box to hold some of my old artists paint brushes. The small box in the center is 2.5" square and 3/4" high, just to see how small I could do a finger joint box; in this case, with 1/8" finger joints. The sides are white oak, the top and bottoms are pecan wood. I haven't cut the top for this one yet. I'm thinking of making it on one of the ends. The box on the right has 1/4" finger joints. The sides are made from redwood I milled into strips from an old 2x4 and glued the strips together. Redwood is difficult to work with at this scale because it chips and splits very easily, though it is really nice looking wood. The top and bottoms are inset, made from mahogany. This one has brass hinges. None of these are stained. They are polished with a couple of coats of woodworker's wax.
I hardly ever buy new wood anymore for small woodworking projects. I use found/recycled/reclaimed wood only. Some of this wood is over 30 years old and has already been used to make one or two things before I got my hands on it. Best of all it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment