Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Folding sculpture: folding cubes #3.2



I've been making "folding" sculptures for some time now. I keep finding new ones to build or explore further possibilities of ones I've already made. This week I made a larger version of one of my folding sculptures. It is made up of eight redwood blocks, each one 3.5 inches. They are hinged together with eight standard issue brass door hinges. The eight cubes stacked together make a larger 7 inch cube. I describe the way this unit functions as a "rotating" fold because, as you can see in the video, it has the appearance of continuously "unfolding". Unfortunately, the finished product is very heavy and not a lot of fun to play with. The whole thing weighs in at 9 lbs.! But, it does work as intended. Pictured here is the piece just after completion. Not very pretty. I do intend to paint it, and I'll post another video when I do.
Changing the scale of a piece of sculpture can have a dramatic effect on our perception of it. The original version of this model is made of one-inch cubes. It is the perfect hand-size version and is fun to manipulate. Double that scale and I begin to see the sculpture in a new way. What if each of these cubes was a box with a lid? It might make an unusual jewelry box.
What if it was big enough to sit on? This piece could be an interesting folding furniture design. If each of the eight blocks was a 20 inch cube, You'd end up with something about the size of a couch that could be folded into about a half dozen different configurations. If you had two of these units, you'd have even more possibilities.
Now I'm wondering if I could make a chain of these units. Could it be done? How would that behave? Hmmm. . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment