Thursday, June 6, 2013

a little Sundial project

I made this little sundial as a little test project. I found an app ("shadows" at www.shadowspro.com) that can make a whole bunch of different kinds of sundials, and I wanted to try it out. I had some scrap metal pieces laying around that, with a little cut and trim and number stamping, using a template I made with the Shadows app, and I ended up with a little sundial that goes on a vertical South facing wall on the back of my house. The app works by using Google Earth to find the latitude and longitude of your house, and adjusting for the angle of the wall you intend to mount your sundial on, it then renders a sundial template, including the correct angle for the style (the thing that casts the shadow on the dial). So, with this little app I could design a template for a wide range of sundial types customized for the exact intended location anywhere in the world. There's also a free version available, so you could try making your own sundial.

No comments:

Post a Comment