Sunday, August 7, 2022

Mirrored Shelf From Old Piano Parts

 

This is a mirrored shelf I made from an old piano that me and my brother-in-law broke up a few years ago. I saved a bunch of parts from this because I don't like to throw away good material. 

This is the top of the front of an upright piano; the part where the sliding doors open and where the sheet music would stand. The wood is mostly Mahogany. The mirror was 12 X 48 inches but I broke the mirror when I was removing it from its original frame. It was glued in the frame, so removing it was difficult. The opening would've been filled by the original size of the mirror. Now that the mirror is smaller I had to fill the space with something, so I used a couple pieces of birds eye Maple at either end. That made nice accents and made the whole thing look just a little bit better. The whole thing measures about five feet long and about 16 inches high. It fits just right at the head of the bed. 

Here's a closer look at the Maple insert and baluster detail.


No comments:

Post a Comment