Saturday, July 24, 2021

Pear Wood Canister

 

Click on an image to see a larger version
 I had this small piece of Pear wood with cracks in it and a bark inclusion, and weird grain going in all directions. Can I even make something out of this? I'm a bit surprised it came out as good as it did. I got the grain to line up with the lid. I hollowed out the interior with a Forstner bit and finished the inside bottom with a spindle gouge. I pulled the bark out of that little cavity because it was coming apart as I turned this thing. Fortunately, that cavity had a textured black lining, so it looks even better than I planned. There's also a small natural hole in the side, which doesn't go through the wall of the canister. I left it as is. I added beads to the top and bottom edges of the lid and the bottom. I formed a short faux knob on the lid top. There's also a textured rosette on the slightly concave bottom. This box was finished as per usual, wet sanding, etc.. Finished finally with Museum wax and buffed. The grain on this is amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment