Thursday, July 22, 2021

Pear Wood Bowl

 

I made a nice 7 inch diameter bowl, 3.25 inches high from a Pear wood log section. The sides on this bowl are nearly straight vertically. There was a bit of bark still attached at the edge of the base, but it fell off. I left that spot as is. I did some texturing detail at the center of the bottom. For this I used a home made, by me, texturing tool. It involves rotary carbide burr Dremel bits set in bearings at the end of a tube, with a handle on the other end. Hold this tool, at different angles, against a rapidly spinning piece of wood to make interesting rosettes. The rings were cut with the tip of a parting tool. This wood is a dream to turn. Cuts nicely and finishes beautifully. As usual I wet sanded with mineral oil up to 400 grit. This bowl feels like satin to the touch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment