Friday, November 11, 2016

New sculpture ver. 1.3

This model is a variation on the idea I posted in my last post. Actually, this version is the original idea I thought of and drew a picture of, but it is the 3rd one I actually made a model of. This was the original idea but I thought I couldn't actually build it, so I made the two that I showed in my last post. When I first got the idea I went out to my shop and quickly bent this thing into shape, then tossed it aside thinking it would be too difficult to make a full size version of it, say 2 or 3 feet in size. I completely forgot about it until I came across it again the other day. It got me thinking about it again, and if I couldn't make a full size one right now, at least I could try to make a model of it. I made this model out of a piece of scrap aluminum left over from another project. This piece of scrap was about 10" long (30 cm), about 3/8" wide (10mm) in the middle and tapered to about an eighth of an inch wide (4mm) at the ends. All the bending was done a couple of weeks ago. Now all I had to do was solder the ends together with an aluminum "brazing" rod, do a lot of filing, sanding and polishing which isn't real easy on this 2.25 inch (60mm) object. Then I drilled a hole in it and tapped threads into it, made a post with threads to match and made a base out of wood painted black.
Here's the cool thing about this, and it happened by accident.When I twisted this object into the shape I accidentally twisted one end a quarter turn in relation to the other end when I welded them together. While inspecting the finished build of this model, and I look at things very closely, I noticed something very interesting. What we have is a thick, tapered ribbon of aluminum joined in a loop, so we have a thing with four faces, or sides. If you were to draw a line down the middle of one of the sides of the ribbon, you would go all the way around the loop four times, making a line down the middle of each of the four sides, before you come back to where you began your line! I love it when you accidentally make something better than what you were trying to make! I'm sure there's a fancy scientific name for this kind of a twist/knot shape. If anybody reading this knows, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment