Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A new sculpture

These are a couple of models of a sculpture idea. I was looking at an art catalog and saw a sculpture in stone that sparked the idea for this sculpture. It looked nothing like these models. I drew a picture of the idea I came up with... it looked kind of like a very loose knot . . . which I liked a lot at the time. I liked it but I didn't think I could build it. So I thought about it some more . . . what if it was sharp angles instead of loops? I drew another picture, and the red model above looks just like it.
 I'm thinking these should be made of steel. I envision the final size of the finished outdoor sculpture would be somewhere from four to six feet high. I can also see it as a table top sized sculpture. That is the size I would like to build the next, steel, model. On the larger model, the color would be site-specific.
Above,the red model is six inches high, the bronze one is four and a half inches, that includes the bases. I made these models out of cardboard, which is flexible and forgiving, so precision is not required as far as angles and connection joints. An attempt at a wooden version failed completely. Much more precision is required to make everything line up perfectly. I might be able to make this in metal though. That's what I'll try next.

No comments:

Post a Comment