Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mobile #41


I got a welder recently so I could start working in steel. I want to make more sculpture that can be displayed outdoors. It's also a good tool and skill to have. I've been wanting to learn to weld for a long time. I waited way too long to do this. Anyway, as I'm learning, and making some really horrible looking welds, I have managed to stick together some steel. The item above, the first thing creative thing I've welded, is a small mobile'. It's made out of bits of scrap metal; nails, bolts, wire, sections of pipe, etc. . With a lot of grinding, I got it to look half decent, and with a coat of paint it really doesn't look too bad for a first attempt. The photo below is the final result. The paint is called "hammered bronze".
It's a pivot-on-point type mobile', with the top section balanced on the point of an old drill bit. The stand is made from, top to bottom: drill bit, lag bolt, washer, wire, 20d nails. The top part is made from the bottom of a spray paint can, wire, scraps of steel, and half inch slices of 1 inch sections of steel pipe. It's about 16 inches high. It's relatively heavy but it does turn in the wind.
I've started on another welded steel mobile and I'll post it here when it's finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment