Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Harmonograph #1

Most of the sculpture I make these days moves in some ways. That movement comes from natural forces like wind and gravity. I experiment a lot with different ways to exploit these natural forces. A harmonograph is a drawing machine that is driven by gravity. I've wanted to try to make a few of these for some time (there are several different kinds). There are two or three more designs I want to make. The thing is they tend to be large if you want to draw on full size office paper, or larger sheets of paper. So I designed one that can be taken apart for compact storage, is easy to set up, and can be clamped to most standard height tables.
I would love to make a large harmonograph. One that is, all by itself, a piece of sculpture. Imagine that. A piece of sculpture that draws pictures. Art created by Art.
So, here's a video I made of me demonstrating this first simple harmonograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment