Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Personal Challenge Project

 

Here we have something I've wanted to try making for some time. A small "box" with a stand to hold it. The box is 2 inches in diameter and 4 inches high, made from a  piece of Plum wood which had some knots, cracks and other voids which I filled with black CA glue which can be polished up nicely. The base (stand) and the finial are made of Pear wood. The stand measures 2 3/8 inches diameter and 1.75 inches high. I've added grooves and beads to both the box and the stand. The finish is mineral oil and beeswax. This was challenging to turn. The Plum wood is very hard with grain going in all directions. The stand was difficult to turn because of problems with holding it in the lathe while I cut it. I'm pretty happy with how it came out considering this is my first attempt at something like this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment