Monday, May 22, 2023

Small Natural Edge Plum Dish


 This was a slice of a Plum tree branch I've had laying in a scrap bin for years. I thought I'd try to turn something out of it. The wood had already split very badly with some additional checking around the pith. That pretty much rendered this wood as useless, but I went ahead and filled the big splits with very hard A+B epoxy putty (the tan colored fill). I thought I'd leave the outside alone and just cut a shallow bowl in the center of it. During the turning some voids were exposed inside the epoxy fill. I filled those and the checks around the pith with black CA glue, and kept turning. This wood was extremely hard, dulling my tools within minutes. The view shown above is the dish turned on its side, looking like a piece of sculpture. I put a coat of Danish Oil as a finish. This thing is about 3.75 inches in diameter.




No comments:

Post a Comment