Sunday, April 2, 2023

The M.C. Esher lizard pattern projects Pt. 1

 

We're big fans of M.C. Escher's work. So when my wife Ellen wanted to make new throw pillows for the sofa, I suggested this pattern; a reduction of one of Escher's designs to its smallest pattern of three. So I made two templates, one facing inward, and one facing outward, so Ellen could trace them onto fabric to be cut out for appliques of this design. These ones are about 6 inches (each lizard). 

I cut these out using my scroll saw. Once Ellen was done using these, I thought they might make for usable trivets for guarding the table top from hot pots and plates. So I'll be finishing these for that usage. What's nice is that the these can be used as a set of three or as individual trivets (these are not glued together).


Here are the finished pillows: one with 3 lizards facing outward, one with 3 facing inward, and a larger pillow with a set of six lizards. The appliques are cut out of textured upholstery fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment