Saturday, August 14, 2021

Plum Wood Lidded Box

 

I made this Plum wood lidded box today. I have some funky Plum wood from a tree in my yard that died this year. I cut it up and set the usable pieces aside for wood turning. This box was made from a couple of small piece of that wood. It measures just over 2 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches tall. It had a loose-fitting lid with a finial. I made a detail ring on the inside of the lid as a decoration using my home made texturing tool. Fruit wood generally is nice for turning. It cuts well and has nice grain. This was wet sanded up to 400 grit, this time using a product called "Butcher Block Conditioner". It contains citrus oil, mineral oil and natural waxes. I'm trying this as a new wet sanding and finishing oil. I'm liking it so far. Wood turners call lidded things like this a "box". So, if you turn a bowl and make a lid for it, it's then called a box. There was a split down one side of this that closed up once I hollowed out the interior. You can see it in the second photo. This came out rather well, I think. I can't wait to try turning a larger piece of this wood. 



No comments:

Post a Comment