Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Scrap Wood Bowls: Segmented Mahogany and Pine

Click on image to see larger version
I upgraded to a new lathe, another Midi size lathe, this one a Delta variable speed model. While I was building a mobile lathe stand for it and making room for it in my shop, I cut and glued-up some blanks made of some nice scrap wood. Trying out a new miter gauge, I wanted to try some segmented bowl turning. When you don't have a big chunk of wood to put on the lathe, segmented layers is the way to go.
This scrap wood bowl measures 5.5 inches in diameter and 3 inches high. The base is furniture grade plywood with the edge stained. The segmented layers are 12 segments per layer. The sides are Mahogany (dark) and Pine (light). The rim is Mahogany. It was wet sanded with mineral oil up to 320 grit, burnished with shavings. The edge of the base was stained. No other finish was applied.

Top view.

No comments:

Post a Comment