Monday, October 2, 2017

Catulpa wood box


This 3.5 inch wide by 8.25 inch long by 2.75 inch high box is carved from a solid chunk of Catulpa wood. That's "carved" with power tools. It's only two pieces of wood. First I cut the lid off. Then I cut out the inside of the box with a router and chisels. The bottom "legs" were cut with a band saw. The lid was rounded off with a router. There are a lot of insect damage holes in this piece of wood but I was able to get this box done and looking half way decent. The finish is linseed oil and hand-rubbed wood wax. I started this box project many years ago but it got set aside in my work shop and then became buried in the clutter. I never really forgot about it. I was trying to think of a way to finish it, having gotten stuck at some point not knowing how to proceed  . . . until years later, when I had more and better tools and a lot more know-how. . . and then the light bulb came on . . . so to speak. And so I finally have it finished. This wood has a very interesting grain and can be very beautiful if cut correctly. It's a heavy and hard wood. I've carved things from it in the past and liked the results. I'm happy with this result as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment