Friday, March 17, 2017

Wooden Trefoil Knot

Here is the wooden version of the Trefoil Knot. This one would fit in a 3 in. cube. The wood is about 3/8" wide/thick. I got the template for this from "Pocket83"'s YouTube channel. The above version is a bit on the rough side. It is made via the subtractive process: start with a cube and cut away everything that is not the Trefoil Knot. I shot this photo before I sanded and filed. I used Douglas Fir for the wood; not a good choice because of the hard growth rings in the wood. Next to the soft wood, the hard rings make the cutting tools go off course. Some degree of precision is required to make this shape at this size. I'm OK with what I ended up with here. This was mainly a test, and to make a model for me to make larger versions of this using the additive process: building it instead of carving it. So, stay tuned, there will be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment