Thursday, March 2, 2017

Redwood bowls

I'm still new to wood turning but I'm beginning to get a little more confidence. I've had a couple of attempts at bowls not turn out due to hidden faults in the wood. They had to be abandoned. I've had some real success too, even with "iffy" wood. Where I live, in Northern California, Redwood is abundant. I saved some pieces of kiln-dried clear heartwood Redwood 2x6 cut-offs, I rescued from the trash bin years ago. I recently rediscovered them and thought they might turn well. Well, the wood turns nicely but it is a brittle, soft wood. Mainly, use sharp tools and a very light touch at the sanding stage. (click on the above image to see a larger version)
The first bowl, above, is made from two 6-inch square pieces of Redwood 2x6 glued together to make a thicker block of wood. I turned it into a 5.5" diameter bowl about 3" deep. This one has a natural, oiled finish. The bowl has thicker walls than I'd like but with this wood it's best to leave it a little on the thick side.
 

The two bowls shown above are also Redwood. The one on the left (1.25" tall, 2.5" diam.) was from a 2x4, and the one on the right (1.5" tall, 3.5" diam.) is from the Redwood heart wood board. It barely shows in the photo above but the bowl on the left has a smaller base. These are finished with hand rubbed shellac and wax.

 Above is another 5.5" diam. bowl, about 1.5 inches high. This too is from the 2x6 clear heart Redwood board. This wood was so dry that it turned to powder. A respirator is mandatory, working with this wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment