Monday, March 13, 2017

Spalted Maple Bowl

This is the largest bowl I've turned so far at 6.5 in. diam. and 5 in. high. (click on the above image to see a larger version) That was one ugly piece of wood in the wild; a rotting Maple log from a big tree we had to cut down years ago. Just look at that wood. Beautiful. The grain of this wood is really nice but the spalting is what really makes it interesting. "Spalting" is what they call the black lines and other darker coloration in the wood. It is the beginning stages of decay. This part of the log was more decayed than another section I still have to turn. So, there were some soft spots in this log. This bowl nearly split in half but I glued it and continued to complete the turning. The bowl is finished with hand rubbed shellac.
I think the remaining spalted Apple wood I have is a lost cause. Firewood. I have hopes for the remaining piece if this spalted Maple. I'm hoping it is not as soft as the above bowl was in places.

No comments:

Post a Comment